Tyson Fury has now reigned because the WBC heavyweight king for 3 years and eight months.
Nonetheless, that is nonetheless not sufficient to rank him among the many prime ten longest reigning world champions in males’s boxing as he presently is available in at quantity 11, with prime spot going to a fighter who has owned his belt for over seven years.
For readability, to be thought of for this record, a fighter will need to have been in possession of no less than one of many 4 reliable variations of the boxing world titles (WBA, WBC, IBF and WBO) for a constant time period.
WBA ‘common’ belts, WBC ‘franchise’ belts and numerous ‘interim’ belts don’t rely – so if a fighter is upgraded from ‘interim’ or ‘common’ to turn into the complete world champion, their reign started from the second they have been upgraded.
If a fighter reigned as a world champion in a single weight class, however vacated their titles earlier than shifting up and successful one other belt within the division above, then they’ve damaged their reign.
An instance of that is Naoya Inoue, who vacated all of his bantamweight world titles in January, after which received the WBC and WBO super-bantamweight world titles in July.
Nonetheless, if a fighter retained his world titles from a decrease weight class and solely vacated them after successful one other within the division above, then their reign is unbroken.
An instance of that is Canelo Alvarez, who options at quantity 5 on the record as he didn’t vacate his WBA middleweight world title till January 2021 – after successful the WBA and WBC super-middleweight world titles in December 2020.
Due to this fact Canelo has reigned as a world champion for day-after-day since he received his middleweight world titles in September 2018, whereas Inoue had a six-month interval this 12 months the place he was not a reigning world champion and so misses out on a spot on this record.
One other weird absence is Devin Haney, who was declared WBC light-weight ‘champion in recess’ in December 2019, which broke his reign earlier than he was reinstated in April 2020.
10. Julio Cesar Martinez – 3 years 10 months
9. Jermell Charlo – 3 years, 10 months
8. Dmitry Bivol – 4 years
7. Arsen Goulamirian – 4 years, 1 month
6. Jermall Charlo – 4 years, 4 months
5. Canelo Alvarez – 5 years, 1 month
4. Terence Crawford – 5 years, 4 months
3. Artem Dalakian – 5 years, 8 months
2. Artur Beterbiev – 5 years, 11 months
1. Knockout CP Freshmart – 7 years, 4 months
- Tyson Fury narrowly misses out on place in boxing’s prime ten longest reigning male world champions, however Canelo Alvarez and Terence Crawford function
- Examine all information and articles from the most recent Boxing updates.